Spire Studio, by Izotope is a portable recorder with an iOS app, with which you can record material through the built-in microphone, by pressing a “Rec” button in the center of device.
You can also connect sound sources to your pair of XLR / TS combo jacks, including condenser microphones with phantom power, also has two headphone outputs, by which we can listen to a metronome. The volume and peak references are given through a ring of LEDs.
You can apply effects and emulations of guitar amplifier in real time or the shot made, as well as noise reduction, through free Spire app with Wi-Fi with Spire Studio. This app serves as an 8-track recorder and mixer that we can stack to build musical sketches, or profesional project with basic editing functions.
Check video below.
Adjusting the volume and panning of each track and mute, or mono or stereo projects can be easily set. Finally, the app lets you export tracks and share your projects with other friends.
Spire Studio has a 4-hour operating time, thanks to a lithium-ion battery, and internal storage capacity for 6 hours, recording at 24-bit / 48kHz.
The Tracktion team has a policy of giving us their DAWs for free. Tracktion 6 is available without limitations for download on Tracktion website, with all advanced features, unlimited audio and MIDI tracks, VST / AU / Linux VST plugin support, MIDI Learn, audio comping, step sequencer, automation and timestretch Z-Plane Elastique Pro, and more.
You only have to register on the page with a valid e-mail, to obtain download link.
TR-808 fever continues; now MVStudio team presents another emulation of Roland’s drum machine, but with a new approach to iOS.
The MV08, promises the sound of the vintage drum machine, but with a graphic panel adapted to Apple iPad, iPhone and iPod touch.
MV08 adds panorama and tone parameters to each voice of this emulation, also offers two editable send effects for each voice, along with a three-band master equalizer and a novel distortion effect. The app comes with more than 200 samples recorded at 16bit / 44.4kHz with 128 user patterns, spread over eight 16-pattern banks.
Check promo below.
All controls of each instrument can be sequenced at each step, for many possibilities to rythm creation, you can also achieve powerful bass lines. The length of each pattern is variable between one and 64 steps, while its resolution is 16 or 32 steps, to create complex times and loops. According to developer James Milton Apps, are features that were never possible in a Roland TR-808 original.
MV08 is compatible with Audiobus, Inter-App Audio and Ableton Link standards, so there are no compatibility issues for what you use in your studio.
The Korg Mono/Poly is another cult synthesizer, released in 1981; very popular for offers 4 oscillators and a 4 voice polyphony that could be stacked in monophonic mode for a powerful sound or paraphonic for crazzy arpeggios.
It also included a filter, 2 envelope generators, 2 LFO and an arpeggiator, being popular for creating 303 style acid sounds and 808 State techno chords; Much sought after today.
Now, Korg presents its synthesizer iMono/Poly, a digital version from the great vintage synth Mono/Poly for iOS iPhone / iPad with new additions. The app emulates all old features of the original, but adds new and interesting stuff such as two multi-effects, eight virtual patches + 128 presets.
When you buy iMono/Poly you will also have it available on Gadget environment under the name “Montpellier”.
Starting price is 21.99 euros until September 30th. Korg recommends at least one iPad Air or iPhone 5 for use it.
If you’re bored with the synthesizers on your iPad, Nikolozi Meladze launched the NFM app, a new FM synthesizer.
With an intuitive approach, through a simple user interface; NFM functions as an audio unit extension within a Cubasis or modstep host application.
NFM is now available for $ 14.99 for iOS 10.0 or later.
• Six stereo operators
• Fully customizable FM algorithm
• Oscillators: sinusoid, noise, fixed frequency
• Envelopes with adjustable level, time and curve parameters
• Operator amplitude can be modulated by the stereo LFO, key or velocity
• Pitch envelope, vibrato
• Build-in effects: distortion, delay, flanger
• Voice modes: monophonic, polyphonic, legato, glide
• Preset management inside the app
• Numeric pad for entering parameter values precisely
Auxy, is a free sequencer with an intuitive panel and minimalist approach to creating music. Designed for iPad and iPhone is a self-contained studio that provides a versatile editor of notes, effects and packs of expandable sounds (6 additional packs at a price € 4.99 per unit).
If you are looking to create simple musical patterns and synthesizer and drum lines, Auxy is a great choice. It has internal sound generators that are triggered from a graphic panel minimalist and intuitive, developed with the ease and the creative speed as a target with innovations in MIDI export form, audio stems, or Ableton Link sync.
Users can explore the ‘Auxy Feed’, a repository of themes created by the app’s musician community, which includes featured music and projects that are available for download and remixing.
SynthScaper is an Apple iOS app dedicated to creation of ambient pads and experimental synth sounds. With a sound engine based on sampling, it has three oscillators, with filter chains, envelope generators, LFOs and effects, capable of editing all parameters through automation.
It is able to give flexible assignments of on-screen controllers and external MIDI keyboards with the SynthScaper oscillators, as well as support Audiobus and Inter-App Audio.
Check video below.
It has an esoteric keyboard to create special effects and variations on continuous textures and drones. It can reach a maximum of 54 voices (three oscillators for three layers by six voices); – as long as you have a powerful CPU. Also; it reaches nine samples (three oscillators per three layers), all at the same time; reflecting great potential for a app instrument.
Recommended at least iPhone 6 / iPad Mini 4 / iPad Air 2 and higher.
● Three independent oscillators.
● Three layers with own samples in each oscillator.
● Six voices in each layer.
● Six envelope generators.
● Six low frequency oscillators.
● Separate arpeggiator for each oscillator.
● General processing of level, balance, LPF, HPF for each layer.
● Three additional slots for filters and effects after each oscillator.
● Set of different kind of filters and effect modules.
● Spatial mixer with two different sound space.
● Screen keyboard adapted for continuous drones and soundscapes.
● Predefined set of keyboard scales and custom scales.
● Full screen, double and split features for screen keyboard.
● Options of screen keyboard for pitch, continuous, modify, velocity.
● Supports for two virtual and two MIDI keyboards at the same time.
● Flexible assigning keyboards and controls to the oscillators.
● Two main effects controls can combine several parameters.
● Uploading samples thru Dropbox, Web access, clipboard.
● Auto and manual tuning of samples with frequency analyzer.
● Set of predefined and ready-to-use scenes and presets.
● Built-in library of samples of instruments, synths, noises, etc.
● Detailed application description.
● Inter-App audio compatible (with transport and BPM controls).
● Supports Audiobus with “State Saving” feature.
Traktor DJ for iPad is available in its 1.6.8 version; the old one has been replaced with iCloud Drive to back-up the HotCues, BeatGrids and key data of your tracks for safe-keeping. Furthermore, iCloud Drive will keep the data in sync across your devices if you are using more than one iPad.
It is soon expected that Traktor DJ allows the access to Apple Music to use the tracks from the app library page itself. Now Traktor DJ does not allow loading tracks from Apple Music, but after some interviews with Traktor DJ’s users that did NI, everything seems to indicate that the scene is being set for it.
In the last few weeks people have been “recruited” to do the beta testing of the new versions of Traktor DJ, and it is seems to be clear that there is going to be an important app upgrade very soon. Moreover, as if that were not enough, Native Instruments is in promotional campaign with Traktor DJ and the old Kontrol Z1, the compact mixing interface for total physical control designed for Traktor Pro and DJ.
After the iPads evolution since the launch of Traktor DJ, a total renovation of this popular platform is being expected.
Ampify, sub-brand from Novation, creator of Blocs Wave app introduced its new product Groovebox, a completely free platform all-in-one for iPad that offers you all basics necessary to take your creativity to the music terrain.
You will have two synthesizers dedicated to harmony and melody (Poly-8), and other to create basslines (Retrobass), also a drum machine (Drumbox) capable of loading patterns or make your own sequences. The instruments provide advanced functions for adjusting parameters such as filter or waveshape, this virtual gears will have an exclusive store for find sounds. In addition, you will get a mixer and functions to keep everything selected in a musical key. Your projects can be synchronize via Ableton Link, for then export your creations to your DAW.
It should be mentioned again that the app is free, however, if you are looking to take advantage of Groovebox, you need to pay for in-app purchases for use another features.
Check demo below.
Groovebox is compatible with iPad 4th Generation, iPad Air 1/2, iPad Pro 9.7/12.9, iPad Mini 2/3/4, iPod Touch 6th Generation, iPhone 5/5C/5S, iPhone 6/6S, iPhone 6S/6S Plus, iPhone 7/7 Plus. Requires iOS 10.
• Discover and build ideas – Quickly explore sounds with hundreds of melody and rhythm patterns
• Play touchable instruments – Create your own melodies and beats
• Three powerful instruments – Drumbox, Retrobass and Poly-8
• Build beats – Play drum pads or keys, sequence notes or use patterns
• Sound innovation – Synths developed in partnership with synth pioneers Novation
• Expand your sounds – Regular, fresh-content drumpacks, presets and patterns*
• Production-ready sounds – Crafted by world-class sound designers and artists
• Extendable Instruments – Expose more tweakable synth controls
• Sequence your music – Draw notes and build patterns instead of playing them
• Stay in time and key – Choose from any tempo, key or musical scale
• Mix your music – 8-track mixer on iPad. Instrument focus mixer on iPhone.
• Share your music – Easily create a mix of your music to share with others
*Requires In-App Purchase
• Jam with others – Audiobus, Inter-App Audio, Ableton Link and Ableton Export
• Ableton Export – Easily send your project to Ableton Live
• Full scale support – All keys and major, minor and modes supported
• Project management – Rename, duplicate and delete
• iPad Pro support – Optimised to use the entire iPad Pro screen
• Send your ideas to a laptop – Batch export your pads as a .zip file, or use Ableton Export
• Bluetooth speaker supported
Bad news for many users, ReBirth the legendary environment, dedicated to 303, 808 and 909 comes to an end. The motive is a claim for infringement of intellectual property from Roland, a fact that culminates with the elimination of iPad app from the App Store next June 15.
“We have decided to discontinue ReBirth for iPad. The decision comes after a statement from Roland that the product infringes on the company’s intellectual property rights. Rather than refuting this claim, we have decided to honor our long-standing relationship with Roland Corporation and have, therefore, come to the conclusion that the best path forward is to discontinue the product.”
ReBirth for 20 years provided us a big software emulations of the Roland TR-808 / TR-909 and synthesizer TB-303.
It should be mentioned that the PC and Mac version was discontinued in 2005, arriving at iOS in 2010. The version remained available for purchase until today. Roland also took the decision to close, a non-profit browser version of the iconic TR-909 drum machine.
ReBirth for iPad, will be available through App Store until June 15 for $ 14.99.